Proforming Arts Academy
- To provide you with the opportunity to take part in performances in front of an audience
- To enrich your experience of the performing arts
- To gain a practical knowledge and understanding of performing
- To develop both personal and team working skills
- To enhance your CV and improve your prospects for entry into higher education
In the first term you will be involved in putting on a production to be performed in December as either a dancer, singer, actor or musician.
The rehearsals are in one of the timetable blocks and on Thursday afternoons until 5:30pm. A detailed rehearsal schedule is given out in September when casting takes place.
How does this fit in with my academic programme?
Academy time will fit alongside your academic subjects to form your programme of study. As a large sixth form college with several sets in most subjects, we have the advantage of being able to offer you not only a wide range of subjects, but also combinations not available elsewhere.
Ideally you should have some previous experience of performing
- Preliminary auditions for first year students are held as part of the Induction process.
- This is designed to give us a clear idea of who will be joining us in September so we can select an appropriate production
- Casting auditions will take place in September
For the auditions, you will be asked to:
- Prepare a monologue or duologue
- Sing a short song of your own choice, which can be either unaccompanied or accompanied if you bring an accompaniment CD with you
- Learn a few dance steps
Musicians will be asked to meet with the Director of Music and may be asked to play,
so you should bring your instrument with you if possible.
2019 Into the Woods
2017 War of the Worlds
2016 Oh! What a Lovely War!
2015 Dr Faustus
Many of our students go on to study performing arts courses at university or Music, Dance and Drama Conservertoires. The College has also had a number of students accepted for the National Youth Theatre, County Orchestras and ensembles and the National Youth Dance Company.
Former student Kit Harington who played the lead role in the National Theatre’s Warhorse, the film Pompeii and starred as Jon Snow in the TV series Game of Thrones is now currently starring in True West in the West End.
For further information regarding Performing Arts Academy please contact the Visual & Performing Arts Department. Tel: 01905 362600 ext 653