Student Services is the College’s one stop shop for a wide range of enquiries. Our friendly, qualified staff provide a wide range of advice and guidance including careers advice, work experience, counselling and mental health, financial help and volunteering.
• Qualified Careers Advisers available 5 days a week
• BACP accredited Counselling 5 days a week
• Dedicated Work Experience support for both compulsory and non-compulsory placements, 5 days a week
• Effective organisation of Student Ambassadors and Peer Mentor scheme
• Impartial Careers Team, supporting OFSTED’s new Common Inspection Framework
• Strong links with employers, welfare agencies and universities
• In 2017 10% of our students successfully progressed onto Degree and Advanced Apprenticeships
• 75% of our student applications to Russell Group universities received offers for 2017 entry
• 88% university acceptance rate (the national average is 76%)
• College student’s success rate for medicine in 2016 was an impressive 75% (the national average is 36%)
• Our Oxbridge success rate in 2017 was 50% (the national average was below 20%)
• Over 400 student work experience placements were arranged during 2016-17, 40% of which were not a compulsory part of their course
“Many learners engage in the college’s professional programme to help prepare them for careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), medicine, healthcare, law and business. As a result, learners benefit by being better prepared for further study or employment”.
I have been so grateful for the support I have received at College so
far. There is so much support on offer to all students, covering all
aspects of College, and I am so glad to have had the courage to seek
out and take advantage of everything that is available.
I have been particularly grateful to the Student Services team. The staff in this
department are so determined, enthusiastic and hard-working and
nothing ever seems to be a problem to them, no matter what time
of day, or how many times a day you go to see them! I’m not a very
confident person so the support received has been a great help. The work experience advisers have helped me gain a work experience placement with my local MP at the Guildhall and the careers advisers have given me great advice and information regarding my UCAS application.
There is a lovely atmosphere at College, and everyone I have come across is so friendly. I like to keep myself busy so am part of the Student Council and also volunteer as a Student Ambassador. This is a good way for me to offer my help and support to my fellow students and College staff.
The College also hold events throughout the year such as the UCAS exhibition and revision sessions which are also a great way to seek out information and advice.
I enjoy the freedom and independence I get at College, and feel that it will be a great stepping stone from school to university. Being able to arrange to have driving lessons in my free periods has been brilliant!
Overall, I would thoroughly recommend Worcester Sixth Form College to anyone who might be interested in applying, and would definitely urge anyone who needs it to take advantage of the great support on offer!
The Baker Clause is an amendment to the Technical and Further Education Act, which requires schools to proactively provide access to their students to alternative providers of technical and post 14, 16 and 18 education.
It requires that all schools ensures that all students have access to hear what the following providers offer:
- At 14: studio schools, university technical colleges, further education colleges, in relation to any opportunities for 14 year old enrolment;
- At 16: apprenticeship providers, further education colleges, sixth form colleges, work-based training providers;
- At 18: apprenticeship providers, higher education providers.
Worcester Sixth Form College fully adheres to all aspects of the Baker Clause.
Feedback and Contacts
If you would you like to provide any feedback about our careers programme or if you are an employer who would like to work with us, please contact Linda Roberts, Head of Student Services via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).