Welcome to Worcester Sixth Form College's Virtual University & Careers Event
We are delighted to welcome first year students and their parents to our event aimed at answering questions you might have about your next steps whether you are considering applying to university, seeking an apprenticeship or securing employment after the successful completion of your studies.
The programme for the evening of 13th May 2021 is as follows:
6pm: Introduction by Ed Senior, Principal
6.15-6.45pm: 'How to apply to university through UCAS' presented by Charlie Smith, UCAS Advisor
6.50-7.20pm: Student Finance presented by De Montfort University
7.25-7.45pm: 'Apprenticeships' by Kerry Davies, Apprenticeship Coordinator at Worcestershire Training Provider Association CIC & Worcestershire Apprenticeship Hub
7.50 - 8.20pm: 'Employment Talk' by Gary Woodman, Chief Executive, Local Enterprise Partnership
Each presentation will be held via Teams. If you click on the join now button at the start of each session, it will take you to the link for the meeting.
UCAS Advisor, Charlie Smith, discusses:
- What is the University and College's Admission Service?
- How to apply to UCAS and the cost
- UCAS timeline and deadlines
- What do year 12 students and parents need to be doing now...
Dal Uppal from De Montfort University will outline:
- How the student finance system works - should it be viewed as a graduate tax?
- The difference between tuition and maintenance loans
- Grants, bursaries, and scholarships
- Loan amounts and what parents are 'expected' to contribute
- Student finance timeline, information required and further information
Kerry Davies from Worcestershire Apprenticeships will outline:
- How apprenticeships work
- Opportunities to take higher level apprenticeships
- National and local picture
Gary Woodman from the Worcestershire Local Enterprise Partnership will outline the:
- Current picture of the national labour market
- What is happening in the local labour market?
- What are employers looking for?
- Jobs of the future and the skills required.