Why Study Sport and Exercise Science?
The Sport and Exercise Science qualification has been formulated to meet the changing requirements of employers and higher education. Designed by experts spanning different aspects of the sector, the Sport and Exercise Science course focuses on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will allow students to take the next step. This science based course is designed for people who wish to work in a sports-related occupation, and who want to develop practical skills and theoretical knowledge. The course allows students to enhance areas such as time management, IT, communication and presentation skills. The Foundation Diploma in the first year is followed in the second year by the Extended Diploma and is equivalent to three A Levels.
Why Study Sport and Exercise Science at Worcester Sixth Form College?
A student centred approach to learning is emphasised on this vocational course. Delivery methods will include experiments, coaching sessions, tutorials, research tasks, peer presentations, fitness testing, practical’s and some lectures. You will also be offered a range of day trips and talks from visiting speakers to enhance your knowledge and experience.
Year 1 units to be covered:
- Specialised Fitness Training
- Functional Anatomy (Exam)
- Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology (Controlled Assessment)
- Field and Laboratory-based Fitness Testing
- Applied Research Methods in Sport and Exercise Science
- Sports Injury and Assessment
Year 2 units to be covered:
- Physical Activity for Individual and Group-based Exercise
- Sport and Exercise Physiology (Exam)
- Sociocultural Issues in Sport and Exercise
- Nutrition for Sport and Exercise Performance (Controlled Assessment)
- Sports Massage
- Coaching for Performance and Fitness
- Biomechanics in Sport and Exercise Science
Students may go on to study a degree in sport or some aspect of sports science or, alternatively, go into sport-related employment and training. This course is a recognised and respected qualification for entry into many occupations and possible future careers including all sport related jobs such as coaching, sports development, teaching, sports therapy, as well as the armed forces, police and fire service.
|Please see ‘General Course Entry Requirements’|
Qualification Levels & Enrollment Options
|Qualification Name||A Level Equivalence||Duration||Awarding Body|
|Extended Diploma||3 A Levels (3 Blocks)||2 years||Pearson BTEC|