Accounting is relevant in any career path, whether you decide to run your own business or work as part of a large organisation. Best combined with Business Studies A-Level/BTEC. Maths is desireable but not essential.
Why Choose Accounting?
Whatever your chosen career, you will come across accounting, whether you decide to run your own business or work as part of a large organisation. Accounting forms the backbone of any business and you may wish to combine your study of accounting with a business course, although this is not a requirement. You do not need to be an expert mathematician, but you do need to feel confident with figures and enjoy working with numbers to find solutions to problems.
Resources and Facilities
- Access to computer room with Internet facilities and interactive ICT resources
- You will be provided with your own copy of the course textbook and workbook
- A range of books are available in the Learning Resources Centre
Teaching and Learning Styles
- Highly practical lessons tackling accounting problems
- We have close business links with PriceWaterhouseCoopers and have taken part in open days at their offices in Birmingham where students had the opportunity to participate in business games and find out about career opportunities
- Students are encouraged to participate in competitions and business simulations, and have previously been finalists in The Student Investor Challenge (a national competition run by IFS School of Finance)
Assessment is all exam-based, containing a mix of numerical and written questions.
A number of students have decided to continue this subject by studying accounting, financial or business related degrees. Some have also progressed to work in banks or other financial institutions or have taken jobs in organisations where they will have the opportunity to gain further accountancy qualifications.
Past students have recently secured training posts with KPMG, Grant Thornton, Deloitte and Ernst and Young, successfully securing places on highly competitive apprenticeship schemes straight after A Level study.
Course Specifics / Entry Requirements
|Qualification Name||Maths GCSE Req.||English GCSE Req.||Other Req.||Desirable Qualifications||Skills & Attributes Required for Success||Guidance on Costs or Commitments|
|Accounting||6||5||Students must have a good range of GCSE’s at grade 5 or above||Confidence with figures. Attention to detail.||Yr 1/ 2, optional trip - £5-6|