Why Study IT Level 3?
Information Technology Level 3 prepares students for the constantly evolving digital sector, ensuring they develop the knowledge, skills and confidence they need for a successful career in the world of Information Technology. The course combines ‘hands on’ learning with developing understanding of underlying concepts, enabling students to develop and demonstrate their practical skills throughout.
Students study for the BTEC Extended Certificate (equivalent to 1 A Level). All students will study the following units:
- Unit 1 – Information Technology Systems
- Unit 2 – Creating Systems to Manage Information
- Unit 3 – Using Social Media in Business
- Unit 5 – Data Modelling
Why Study IT Level 3 at Worcester Sixth Form College?
The department offers excellent teaching and learning facilities, including dedicated study areas equipped with specialist hardware and software for IT students for use outside of lessons.
Students are encouraged to develop their skills within industry with many students completing relevant work experience at local IT specialist companies.
Students benefit from varied enrichment opportunities which have recently included:
- visiting speakers and workshops from local companies including Sanctuary Group, Phixos and Boswell Ltd
- a visit to the National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park, once the top-secret home of the World War Two Codebreakers where Alan Turing created the first computer
- the CyberClub enrichment program - an extracurricular club for students keen to work in the Cyber Security industry to engage with safe, challenging, problem solving activities provided by GCHQ.
This course can give you the practical skills and knowledge to progress to a wide range of roles within the IT industry including IT technician, programmer, network support specialist, data analyst, digital marketer, web designer or project manager.
Many of our students go on to higher education, studying a range of IT based degrees including Cyber Security, Games Development and Management Information Systems. Alternatively, students have used the relationships forged with local companies to secure Higher Apprenticeships, enabling them to continue with their studies whilst also gaining hands on experience in industry
|Other Desirable Qualifications / Combinations
|Skills & Attributes Required for Success
|Guidance on Costs or Commitments
|Please see ‘General Course Entry Requirements’
|GCSE Maths and English at grade 4 or above, otherwise will be added to your programme of study
|Good awareness of IT applications. A desire to gain an insight into the fast moving IT industry, encompassing data use, programing, business, web and security issues.
|Work placement insurance check
Qualification Levels & Enrollment Options
|A Level Equivalence
|1 A Level (1 Block)
|1 year (studied after successful completion of Certificate)
|Pearson BTEC Nationals Technicals