Why Study Performing Arts?
- The Level 3 Applied course is the Extended Certificate in Performing Arts (1 block).
- The course offers you the chance to develop your skills as a performer in music, dance and drama, to create your own work and perform to large audiences. You will also learn about the performing arts industry and professional practice. The course provides an excellent grounding for anyone who is interested in making performance a career.
- The majority of the classwork is practical.
- A wide range of music, dance and drama styles is studied.
- Students have a great deal of individual choice in the disciplines they choose for assessment.
- Assessment is through a combination of centre assessed and externally examined units. These are in the form of performances, portfolios, reports and examinations.
Why Study Performing Arts at Worcester Sixth Form College?
- Opportunities to perform – several units involve performing repertoire or devised work.
- Workshops with universities and visiting professionals (recent workshops have included Vamos Theatre and Splendid Theatre).
- Trips and visits (recent trips have included the University of Falmouth and the Eden Project).
- Participation in the Performing Arts Academy: the opportunity to perform in the College Production and other show cases of student work.
- Students who study Performing Arts are timetabled so that they share rehearsal times and can participate in the College Production and other performances.
- Close links with the University of Worcester and University of Gloucester Performing Arts departments
Many students go on to study Performing Arts at degree level or attend a conservatoire specialising in a specific area of the Performing Arts. Other openings are careers in PR and Personnel as well as in the performing arts industry itself. Performing Arts teaches you many of the skills employers are looking for such as team working, communication and independence.
Course Specifics / Entry Requirements
|A Level Equivalence
|Other Desirable Qualifications / Combinations
|Skills & Attributes Required for Success
|Guidance on Costs or Commitments
|1 A Level (1 Block)
|GCSE Dance/ Drama/Music/ Expressive Arts at grade 4 or above or equivalent level of experience. Enrol onto Performing Arts Academy
|GCSE English at grade 4 or above
|Performance skills in two of the Performing Arts (Dance or Drama or Music). Commitment to rehearsals and good attendance.
|Optional visits/ workshops approx £30. Participation in timetabled rehearsals during and outside of the College day.