Why Study Performing Arts?
- The Level 3 Applied course is the Extended Certificate in Performing Arts (1 block).
- The course offers you the chance to develop your skills as a performer in music, dance and drama, to create your own work and perform to large audiences. You will also learn about the performing arts industry and professional practice. The course provides an excellent grounding for anyone who is interested in making performance a career.
- The majority of the classwork is practical.
- A wide range of music, dance and drama styles is studied.
- Students have a great deal of individual choice in the disciplines they choose for assessment.
- Assessment is through a combination of centre assessed and externally examined units. These are in the form of performances, portfolios, reports and examinations.
Why Study Performing Arts at Worcester Sixth Form College?
- Opportunities to perform – several units involve performing repertoire or devised work.
- Workshops with universities and visiting professionals (recent workshops have included Vamos Theatre and Splendid Theatre).
- Trips and visits (recent trips have included the University of Falmouth and the Eden Project).
- Participation in the Performing Arts Academy: the opportunity to perform in the College Production and other show cases of student work.
- Students who study Performing Arts are timetabled so that they share rehearsal times and can participate in the College Production and other performances.
- Close links with the University of Worcester and University of Gloucester Performing Arts departments
Many students go on to study Performing Arts at degree level or attend a conservatoire specialising in a specific area of the Performing Arts. Other openings are careers in PR and Personnel as well as in the performing arts industry itself. Performing Arts teaches you many of the skills employers are looking for such as team working, communication and independence.
Performing Arts - Nunnery Wood High School
I chose Performing Arts as I have always had a passion for performing, starting out as a musician, before pursuing my love for acting. This subject has allowed me to grow as a performer, improving my skills as an actor as well as improving my interpersonal skills such as confidence and leadership both in lessons and in enrichment performances such as Chicago. In partnership with Drama and Theatre Studies, this subject has prepared me with the necessary skills to further my training as an actor as I move on to university to train professionally.
Course Specifics / Entry Requirements
|Qualification Name||A Level Equivalence||Duration||Awarding Body||Essential Qualificiations||Other Desirable Qualifications / Combinations||Skills & Attributes Required for Success||Guidance on Costs or Commitments|
|Extended Certificate||1 A Level (1 Block)||2 years||OCR||GCSE Dance/ Drama/Music/ Expressive Arts at grade 4 or above or equivalent level of experience. Enrol onto Performing Arts Academy||GCSE English at grade 4 or above||Performance skills in two of the Performing Arts (Dance or Drama or Music). Commitment to rehearsals and good attendance.||Optional visits/ workshops approx £30. Participation in timetabled rehearsals during and outside of the College day.|
Related Courses / Activities
Music A Level
Why Study Music A Level? The course is aimed at those who have a serious interest in music and well-developed...
Drama and Theatre Studies A Level
Why Study Drama and Theatre Studies? This course offers the wonderful opportunity to practically and theoretically explore all aspects of...
Dance A Level
Why Study Dance? This course offers you the chance to develop your skills in choreography, performance and analysis. Energy and...
Travel and Tourism Level 3 Applied
Why Study Travel & Tourism? In recent years, the UK has established itself as a real alternative to Mediterranean beach...
"I have learnt how to work as a team, how to sell to the public and how to design and...
Professional Programmes Boost your career potential Professional Programmes at the College are an exciting opportunity to take part in flexible...
Performing Arts Academy
Proforming Arts Academy Aims To provide you with the opportunity to take part in performances in front of an audience...