Why Study Drama and Theatre Studies?
This course offers the wonderful opportunity to practically and theoretically explore all aspects of theatre. You will develop acting, directing and design skills as well as building self-assurance and exercising your imagination. You will study play texts, participate in performances, devise new work, write analytical essays and reflective
journals. The course offers active, practical exploration of ideas and theories through workshop and performance. You will also develop rigorous written skills that you will use to analyse both scripts, live theatre productions and evaluate your own acting pieces. The course is assessed via external written examinations (40%) and coursework. The coursework element is assessed through filmed or showcased
performance (30%) and written reflective report (30%).
Why Study Drama and Theatre Studies at Worcester Sixth Form College?
- There are a wide range of trips and workshops for you to take part in including visits to RSC, London and professional theatre companies nationwide
- As part of your course you will take part in several public performances including an extract from a published play and an original devised piece
- We enjoy the benefits of a well-equipped College Theatre and the more intimate College Drama Studio
- Excellent lighting, sound and projection facilities & video and sound recording equipment
- Workshops with visiting professionals and academics
- Close links with the University of Worcester
- The Performing Arts Academy puts on two public productions a year including a large-scale musical and an end of year showcase
Many students go on to study Drama and Theatre Studies at degree level either as single honours or in combination with another subject. This subject develops written skills alongside confidence, communication and group work. It works very well alongside English Literature as well as providing an interesting and enriching contrast
to a range of other subjects. Drama and Theatre Studies teaches you many of the skills employers are looking for such as independence, presentation skills and creativity.
Course Specifics / Entry Requirements
|Maths GCSE Req.
|English GCSE Req.
|Skills & Attributes Required for Success
|Guidance on Costs or Commitments
|Drama and Theatre Studies
|GCSE English Literature at grade 4 or above and GCSE Drama at grade 5 or above where these subjects have been studied.
|Students must commit to rehearsal time outside of lessons. A willingness to take part in live theatre visits and workshops is essential.
|Live theatre and workshop visits at a cost of approx. £50 per year.