Why Study Dance?
This course offers you the chance to develop your skills in choreography, performance and analysis. Energy and commitment are the main requirements for this physically and mentally demanding course.
Technical classes focus on contemporary dance genres. Workshops in many other styles, which relate to specific areas of study, are also learnt and these can range from ballet to kathak.
The compulsory area of study is Rambert Dance Company and we choose an optional area of study from The Independent Contemporary Dance Scene in Britain and American Jazz Dance.
We follow the AQA A Level Dance specification. The course is linear and assessment of the course is in the final year through a practical exam and written exam.
Why Study Dance at Worcester Sixth Form College?
- You will benefit from a large well-equipped dance studio and an extensive range of subject resources. Classes are small to allow for tailored individual feedback on choreography, performance and analysis. Students who study Dance are timetabled so that they share rehearsal times and can participate in the College Production and other performances.
- Close links with Dancefest, the dance agency for Worcestershire and Herefordshire: the chance to perform at Dancefest events including ‘Worcestershire Dancing’ each summer.
- Workshops with universities and visiting professionals.
- Trips and visits (recently these have included the University of Falmouth, Bristol Hippodrome and Birmingham Hippodrome).
- Participation in the Performing Arts Academy.
Many students go on to study Dance at degree level, focusing on performance, choreography or analysis. Recently students have gone on to train at Dance conservertoires such as Northern School of Contemporary Dance, London Studio Centre and Trinity Laban. Others have progressed to university to study a diverse range of subjects. Each year some students seek employment in the industry. However, many prefer to look on their Dance A Level as having been an enjoyable way to gain a qualification which has also provided them with transferable skills for other employment/careers such as team work, problem solving, management and motivation of others, communication and expression.
Course Specifics / Entry Requirements
|Qualification Name||Maths GCSE Req.||English GCSE Req.||Other Req.||Desirable Qualifications||Skills & Attributes Required for Success||Guidance on Costs or Commitments|
|Dance||4||GCSE Dance at grade 4 or above or equivalent level of experience.||Commitment to rehearsal and good attendance||Optional visits/ workshops approx £30. Participation in timetabled rehearsals and on Wednesday afternoons.|